Thursday, February 8, 2018

Roasted Cauliflower Tikka Masala Soup


If I come back with two things from a trip home to Central California, it’s a box of See’s and a bag of dried apricots. But if I come home with just one thing, it’s going to be the apricots every time.

I know what you’re thinking: “Corrie, they sell those at CVS.” HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahhaha NO. Those sad, pale, creepily plump and waxy impostors don’t even deserve to share the name, much less end up in your kitchen.

CVS apricots are decidedly not fetch.

These particular apricots are procured exclusively from a garage down the street from my sister’s house in Fresno, California – and in my estimation are the number one reason to say Fres-Yes. [Ok, fine, family comes first. But then it’s all apricots.] They’re set out in little bags on a few small tables along with a little lockbox to deposit your payment if the owners aren’t home. How charming is that?


My brother calls them “nature’s candy,” but honestly “God’s gift to mouths” is more accurate. You may think I’m being outlandish, but they’re such a dang treat that I’m willing to be ridiculous.And to me, part of being ridiculous about dried apricots is building a soup around them.

Actual footage of my face while taking the above picture.

This soup is inspired both by those apricots and by paneer shahi korma at the old Dusmesh on Ludlow – you know, years ago when that adorable and infectiously happy girl worked there and knew everyone’s names? In the good old days before we all started having to point out that there were, in fact, good old days? A creamy spiced tomato curry with soft and chewy homemade cheese, what set the paneer shahi korma apart was the cashews and the sweet, plump raisins.

Well, my raisin-hating coworkers (there’s literally a ban on raisins in my office) will be happy to know I’ve defeated them in this recipe. Why use stinky old raisins when you can use GOD’S GIFT TO MOUTHS?           


And why use paneer when you can use roasted cauliflower? JK, I haven’t fully lost my mind; I totally would have put paneer in here if I had any. That said, the texture of roasted cauliflower is hard to beat; I love the tension of the tender but slightly resistant stalk against my teeth. If I remembered the first time I ate roasted cauliflower, I would no joke get a tattoo of the date in a little heart. This is a serious relationship, alright?


And I for one am thrilled with its current ubiquity in substitutions from rice to couscous to mashed taters to pizza crust. Bring it on (and by “it” I a little bit mean gas, but I would never actually type something like that on the internet where anyone could see it). 

If you have the time and the willingness to prove your superiority, do feel free to make your own spice blend. Tonight I was in that phew-long-week! mode, which – compounded by the fact that I was not feigning authenticity in any way — meant I used tikka masala curry paste. Jars of this instant-delish condiment are (!!!) even available at the ever-improving Vine St. Kroger in Over-the-Rhine.

You can also amp up the spice factor. As written this is purely mild, wholly accessible comfort food. But if you want to sweat, you know what to do. Another variation: easy to veganize using coconut oil in place of butter and coconut milk in place of heavy cream! I lately happen to be nearly always scheming to get more butter in me, but I understand that may not be your bag.

Also running a cream scheme.

As for me, I could have rolled around in this soup all night long. You can vary each bite to your taste – maybe this one is just soup! Next we’re going for a cauliflower/spinach combo, followed by a super mega combo involving every element of the soup PLUS some fresh dance moves because it’s so undeniably tasty that you just have to express yourself.

Actual footage of me eating this soup.

The real winner bites are the bites that prove the concept: the ones with the apricot. While I’ll maintain that these gingery toasted cashews are one of my better ideas, the apricots — softened up by the hot soup and adding sweetness and tang at the same time — absolutely steal the show. A bite with apricot is like Christmas and Valentine’s Day happening at once, a gift that fills you with love for yourself and all of humanity. Shakespeare would surely have opined, “Though they be but little, they are fierce.”

If you decide to make this recipe, let me know. After this post I may be starting a dried apricot smuggling ring import service.

Roasted Cauliflower Tikka Masala Soup
with ginger-scented spinach, ginger-toasted cashews and dried apricots

Serves 2

1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
2 shallots, thinly sliced, divided
1 tablespoon prepared tikka masala paste
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups tomato puree (I blended leftover diced tomatoes with juice)
2 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon butter, divided
4 cups baby spinach
1” piece whole peeled fresh ginger plus 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, divided
1/3 cup raw cashews
5 dried apricots, diced

Preheat oven to 450F. Place cauliflower florets on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with melted coconut oil and about ½ teaspoon salt.  Roast until tender and browned, about 25 minutes, taking out to stir halfway through cooking. Remove from oven and set aside.

Meanwhile, melt 1 teaspoon butter in soup pot over medium heat and add half of shallots. Cook, stirring, until softened (5 minutes). Add garlic and tikka masala paste and stir to coat shallots, cooking for another minute. Add vegetable broth and tomato puree, stirring to fully combine. Let simmer while you prepare the other components.

Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a pan over medium heat and add remaining shallots and whole piece of ginger. Cook shallots for 3 minutes or so, then add spinach and a pinch of salt and pepper, stirring until just wilted. Cover and remove from heat.

In a small pan, melt remaining teaspoon of butter over medium-high and add grated ginger, stirring until fragrant (30 seconds). Add raw cashews and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until nuts have nice golden spots, stirring frequently (3-5 minutes but watch it so as not to burn).

Stir heavy cream into tomato soup and turn off heat.

To serve, divide roasted cauliflower between two bowls. Ladle half of tomato soup over each, then top with half of spinach (discarding whole piece of ginger).  Garnish with ginger-toasted cashews and dried apricot pieces.

Bonus angle because I really do want to dive back in.

1 comment: