Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Soupruary 23rd: Lost at Seaweed

Keeping us from turning into obese goiter candidates with multiple thyroid conditions, one soup at a time!


Location:

Kris & Cat's apartment, Covington, Kentucky (which they really should move out of post-haste, as I would like to move in por favor)


Attendees:
Kris, Catherine, Minda, Evangeline, Jamie, Jasmine, Jon, Penny!, Joshua, me


Menu:
Bruschetta (yummily prepared by Kris & Kat—doesn't matter that it didn't quite match the rest of the evening's food, because they were straight-up devoured before we started anything else. As they say: nom nom nom.)
Cucumber wontons
Edamame, wasabi peas, & dried squid (a.k.a. what qualifies as "snackies" on the shopping list)
Sunomono
Jasmine rice
Seaweed soup
Mochi (three flavors! from Jamie)


Entertainment:
Penny being cute
Pants being cute
Penny vs. Pants cute-off
aaaaaand...L O S T


The Soup:
Jasmine reminded me of seaweed's "wonder food" status, which both delights and frustrates me.

The delights: Feeling like you're doing something awesome for your body (you know, preventing goiters and all), while at the same time eating something that totally tastes good.

The frustrations: Um, wonder food? Wonder? Really?! Because I ate a big ol' bowl of this stuff, and I didn't even get a metaphorical Lasso of Truth, much less indestructible armbands. Stop setting me up with false hopes, Mr. or Ms. Seaweed Propagandist, wherever you are.


Devastating disappointment in my continued non-superhuman status aside,
I'm happy to know how easy this is to do, and jazzed to have lots of leftover ingredients with which to whip up another batch at whim. I'd be so okay with having this for breakfast on a daily basis, and since I've still got yards of dry seaweed and a gang o' miso, I might just do it. And seriously, this and a little bit of leftover rice in the morning? Fit as a fiddle (and ready for love).

Made after reading multiple online recipes + one in
Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons by Nava Atlas. Also: I made twice as much as I've listed below, but normal meals don't need 12 cups of broth, so I'm listing a more reasonable amount.

6 cups water
2 3"x7" strips of kombu
2 cubes of vegetable bouillon
1/2 cup wakame
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
4 cloves of galic, minced
1/2 pound silken tofu, cut into a half-inch dice
1/4 cup white miso
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions

Bring water, bouillion and kombu to a boil, then remove from heat and let sit 30 minutes.

Reconstitute wakame: Place it in a bowl, cover with hot water and let sit 15 minutes, then drain.

In a large skillet over medium-high, heat sesame oil. Add garlic and stir for about 30 seconds, then stir-fry wakame for 2 or 3 minutes.

Remove 1/2 cup of broth and combine it with miso until smooth.

Remove kombu from broth, then bring it up to a simmer. Add wakame and tofu, then miso and scallions, stirring to combine. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. This soup even converted a non-miso-lover! And it magically cured my cold!

    ReplyDelete