Sunday, February 7, 2010

Soupruary 6th: Split Pea

The first soupstitution!


Necessitated by an afternoon fever, I changed plans yesterday and made split pea soup rather than the black bean soup I had planned. The other day my brother Karl reminded me of Split Pea Andersen's, a restaurant close to where we grew up where you can eat all the Split Pea soup you want. Thanks to a little miracle called the internet, I found what is supposedly their recipe, and it really did taste as good as I remember it.

Because of the fever and because we had to set up for a lil dance party at the Northside Tavern (and then get to it), we didn't really have an official event tonight. But hey, I got the soup made, I liked it, and I fed some people! Josh, Laura, Aron and I had some soup.

I thought Laura said it tasted hot, but she said it tasted like pot (then clarified that she meant it tasted earthy). Here are the ingredients, just to prove there was nothing illegal going on:


Split Pea Andersen's Split Pea Soup

8 cups water
1 onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 cups split peas
1 dash hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf

Put all ingredients in a large pot and boil hard for 20 minutes. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until peas are soft. Remove bay leaf, and blend with an immersion blender. If soup is too thick (mine was!), thin with water. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and strain through a fine strainer if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment