Saturday, February 14, 2015

Leek and Celery Root Soup

Okay, so first things first, I yanked this recipe from the 2015 Goop detox.


So am I saying Goop like Gwyneth-Paltrow-Goop, and detox like people-think-that's-a-real-thing?


But don't let the "detox" label fool you. This is my favorite celery root soup I've made to date. The texture is a dream, and -- honestly -- you don't need any garnish here. The bright parsley/salty parmesan/crispy pepitas certainly worked, and I felt liked I needed to fun-it-up a little, but sometimes you don't need extra fun. Sometimes extra fun is like when you're 32 and you're just trying to have a glass of wine at MOTR and someone hands you a shot of whiskey and you're like whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Back to the soup: The simple flavor of the celery root and leeks is pure and light and vichyssoisesque (totally a word) with a littabitta extra tang. Bottom line, it tastes good.


Seriously, there's, like, nothing in this soup (see above). I guess that's kind of the point of a "detox" diet. And, man. I know that whole concept has gotten such flack for being fake science (because duh), BUT HEAR ME OUT. I am an indulgent being. Overindulgent. It's by the grace of God and the current state of America that I don't have to categorize myself as gluttonous.


With that in mind, every six months or so I find myself needing a reset of sorts. That's one benefit of Soupruary: a reason to cook for myself, every day. But in other months, I have to look for other inspirations. And as much as I don't aspire to Paltrow levels of asceticism, I can't resist reading her post-holiday weigh-down regimen, and seeing if I can't glean the tiniest bit of aspirational air-eating hints from her.

Here's the thing with this soup, though. You could go the lean-as-a-superstar route, and honestly still be thrilled with it. You can also do what I did and eat it with some toasty sourdough, sprinkling on some extra parm every now and then. Either way, it's creamy and decadent, and it's that satisfying thickness that sticks with you for hours after you eat it. In other words: This soup is all about that bass.

Leek and Celery Root Soup

Serves two, generously
Adapted from goop

THE STUFF:

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 leeks, white and light green parts cleaned and sliced
3 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 pound celery root, peeled and cubed
2 cups vegetable broth
juice from half a lemon

optional garnish:
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, salted and sauteed in 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsely
shaved parmesan

THE METHOD:

Heat olive oil over medium heat, then add leeks. Cook for about 10 minutes, then add garlic and thyme and cook another 3 minutes. Add celery root and vegetable broth, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until celery root is tender.

Use an immersion blender or traditional blender to blend soup until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and serve, with or without garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment