Monday, February 16, 2015

Pea, Mint and Arugula Soup

If you know one thing about me, let’s face it – it’s that I make too much soup. If you know two things about me, the second is probably that I have a nearly unnatural affinity for peas.


Regular ol’ green peas. Fresh peas, frozen peas, I don’t care: Just gimme. Put some olive oil on ‘em, salt ‘em up and fill a bowl to the brim and you’ve got my favorite by-myself-in-front-of-the-TV dinner. So it takes a lot for me to make peas into a soup – I love the way they pop between your teeth when you bite down on one at a time (yeah, there’s plenty wrong with me, why do you ask?), and turning them into a smooth concoction takes that pleasure point away.

But when you’re replacing that pleasure with the pleasures of mint and arugula? I say the cost-benefit-analysis is landing solidly in this soup’s favor.

I almost typed “flavor” instead of “favor.” That’s how good it was. The arugula adds that nice peppery bite (plus some good nutrients I suppose), and pea + mint is a classic combo for a reason. Pea + mint is my pepperoni + pizza.


This soup takes the essence of peas and punches it up in highly complementary ways while not reducing the essential pea-ness of it. Oh no. I just typed that, read it back in my head, realized what it sounded like, and giggled like a seventh grader. Now I can’t delete it even though I assume my mother will be forever disappointed in me (sorry, mom, PEAS forgive me).

MOVING ON.

This soup has such fresh taste, and I gobbled it up and licked the bowl when I served it (to myself) hot last night topped with some nice salty feta and a drizzle of olive oil. I had a thought too late that I should have put a few whole peas on top as a garnish, too. But inspiration doesn’t always strike all at once, so I’ll have to test out that (clearly brilliant) idea in March.

This morning I had it cold for breakfast, and wow, does it taste even MORE fresh that way. If you wanted to get real fancy-like, you could serve it chilled (that’s fancytalk for “cold”) and strained through a fine mesh strainer to achieve a more elegant texture. I just had it straight out a plastic storage container like the woman of the pea-ple that I am.

GROAN.

But seriously, I’ve said it before (on Instagram, @corrieloeffler) and I’ll say it again: I’d drink a gallon of this soup. I’d take this over a smoothie most days, and it doesn’t take that much longer to make. Because I didn’t use a recipe, this thing is crazy simple (unlike me, as I’m obviously very complicated and mysterious). As an aside: totally recommend just going in your kitchen and MAKING something, anything, without a recipe. When it works, it’s extra satisfying.

Final verdict: Do you like peas? Okay, cool, you’ll like this.

Pea, Mint and Arugula Soup

Serves two generously

Ingredes:

Extra virgin olive oil
1/2  of a yellow onion, diced
1 10 oz. bag of frozen sweet peas
2 cups no-chicken broth (it sounds weird but it’s really good, I swear) or vegetable broth
3 to 4 cups arugula
1 tablespoon mint, plus a few leaves for garnish
1 tablespoon crumbled feta

Method:

In small pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the diced onion with a pinch of salt. Saute for about 5 minutes, until soft but not browning. Add peas and broth and simmer another 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender and add arugula and mint. Blend until smooth (strain through fine mesh strainer if desired) and serve topped with feta, mint leaves, a drizzle of olive oil and some freshly cracked black pepper.

3 comments:

  1. I just made a comment and now I'm not sure if it disappeared or maybe you need to approve it...I think the former...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comment was (is) that I've never had pea soup(!) but this looks doable. I like peas! I eat them frozen, even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! And also I don't think I've ever tried to eat them frozen...how frozen are we talkin'? Because I feel like that could be a fun summertime snack if I don't chip a tooth on them.

      Delete