Friday, February 8, 2013

Artichoke and Celeriac Soup You Should Probably Eat Right Now

Oh man, I really did good things at work today. I crossed so many things off my list, you’d’ve thought I was a persnickety, single 30-something in a romcom.


What better way to celebrate than by doing what I do best in February? My challenge tonight: Don’t go to the store.

Q: What do I have at home?
A: Half a celeriac and a can of artichoke hearts.

I was watching this week’s episode of The Taste tonight as I was cooking and was reminded (as I am on all cooking competition shows) that it’s a terrible idea to try something you’ve never tried before. It’s always, always a mistake—and honestly after all these years of the same show repackaged, it’s a little shocking that people keep doing it. It’s pretty much the number two reason I’d never audition for one of those shows (you know, after number one: I’m not that good of a cook). Luckily, my eetsy-beetsy kitchen has no TV cameras in it, and I have an adventurous spirit. 

That said, I don’t often just go with my gut rather than referencing a recipe to some degree or another. Maybe it was majorly killing it at work, maybe it’s the sheer number of soups I’ve made at this point (so many of which have never even shown up on this blog), but tonight I was feeling bold. DO IT FOR YOU, I told me.

And you know what? If I were served this at a restaurant, I would be mad at precisely zero people. If I were the only customer, Café de Cor would be a certified hit.

Making this soup made me feel like John Locke on LOST: Don’t tell me what I can’t do!

In thinking about what to put in it, I didn’t get very complicated. I just asked myself, “What tastes good with artichokes?” And then I put it in the soup. BRILLIANT (more like duh, but I'm going with brilliant).


It is creamy as all get-out. It is tangy as hell (Hell is so tangy, as we all know). It makes your mouth tingle and water way at the back of your teeth, which makes you want to put more in your face as soon as possible. At the same time, it’s different enough to make you want to hold on to every bite just a little bit longer. It tastes like artichoke and celeriac (only actual selling point needed). If you like either of those things, try it.

Bonus confession: I actually got some flatbread out so I could wipe the pot clean, not wasting a fraction of a drop.

Artichoke and Celeriac Soup
serves 4-ish

GET THIS STUFF

1 T olive oil
1 T unsalted butter
½ c finely chopped shallots
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ c dry white wine
½ of a celeriac (celery root), diced—about 1.5 c
3 c vegetable broth
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
1 or 2 T heavy cream
Italian parsley and lemon wedges, to garnish

DO THIS WITH IT

Heat olive oil and butter over medium heat until butter melts, then add shallots and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and cook for another minute or two.
Add wine and cook until liquid reduces by half.
Add diced celeriac and vegetable broth and bring to a steady simmer. 
Partially cover and cook about 20 minutes or until celeriac is soft.
Add artichoke hearts and cook an additional 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender until as smooth as desired.
Stir in cream, and serve topped with chopped parsley and a lemon wedge if desired (it's already pretty tangy but I like the extra tang of a wee bit of lemon juice).

No comments:

Post a Comment