Saturday, February 23, 2013

Thai Curry Red Lentil, Beans & Rice Soup

Do you have a cold? Of course you do. It's February. Go make this. It's spicy and appetite-inspiring. You'll thank yourself. 


I also garnished this delightful Thai-inflected soup with thinly sliced radishes, but by the time I put them on I was too excited to eat and could not be bothered to take another photo.  That's how good this is. I didn't even have time for the cutest vegetable on the planet. 

This was another recommendation from Ben, who insisted I definitely had to try this Red Lentil Thai Chili. I'm so glad I did. I altered it a bit to make it a little soupier--after Soupruary I'm totally going back to give the original a go as well. 

I was planning to throw some diced avocado on top of here, but my avocados betrayed me. No matter how many times they hurt me, I keep going back for more. It would probably be less emotionally draining, though, if I'd stop trying for a while. After eating this, though, I think avocado really would be a nice touch.

Not that this needs anything else. I can't think of anything it's lacking--sweetness (sweet potato), spice (cayenne, paprika, curry paste), creaminess (coconut milk), acid (lime)--it's all there. If you're a fan of Thai red curry, I promise you'll be happy with the decision to make this, preferably ASAP. 

Of course you can make your own red curry paste if you'd like to. But on a Saturday after being at work all day and a 7:30am call time, that wasn't in the cards for me. Luckily, the lazy way works out great. Allow me to introduce you to another of my favorite pantry items: the perfect $1 can of curry paste from Saigon Market at Findlay Market (that place is chock full of fun and tasty gems).  


They carry a wide array of styles, and every single one I've tried has been a shortcut to a delicious meal. I try to keep a few on hand for emergency stir fries and soups. Besides, what business do I really have attempting to make a good Thai red curry paste? About as much business as I have writing this blog! BASICALLY ZERO BUSINESS.

Business discussions aside, let's talk about love. I really believe this soup potentially make your significant otro fall more in love with you. In my case, I'm at least halfway certain Logan loves this soup more than he loves me. He's already declared his fear of running out of leftovers. And I don't blame him. It really is a soup you just want to keep eating and eating. Muy peligroso!

So, thanks for the recommendation, Ben--you were right. This is definitely going to make repeat appearances in my kitchen/mouth. Try it out, or try the original chili recipe. It's just GOOD.

Thai Curry Red Lentil, Beans & Rice Soup 
Serves at least 4, likely more

GET THIS STUFF

olive oil
two shallots, chopped
1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 t cayenne
1/2 t ground coriander
1/2 t smoked paprika
1/2 t garlic powder
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/3 c red lentils
1/3 c wild rice (I used a mixture of brown, red and black)
2 c vegetable broth
1 c water
1 15 oz can mixed kidney, pinto and black beans, drained and rinsed
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained but not rinsed
1 14 oz can coconut milk
2 T Thai red curry paste (or to taste)
1/2 c chopped fresh cilantro, plus more as garnish
juice of half a lime, plus lime slices as garnish
thinly sliced radishes, as garnish

DO THIS WITH IT

Heat oil in your pot over medium heat, and add shallots and bell pepper with a good three-finger pinch of salt. 
Let this cook for a few minutes until softened, then add garlic and cook for another minute or two. 
Add cayenne, coriander, paprika and garlic powder, and stir around until the vegetables are coated and the mixture is super fragrant, a minute or two. 
Add sweet potato, lentils, rice, vegetable broth, and water, and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and cover pot--cook for about 20 minutes until or until sweet potato, rice and lentils are cooked through.
Add tomatoes, coconut milk and curry paste, and turn the heat back up to medium. 
Stir until everything is well incorporated, making sure not to leave any weird clumps of paste (gross)--you may want to use a wire whisk here.
Cook for 5 minutes or so, uncovered, then remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Taste for seasoning and add salt here if necessary.
Serve garnished with more cilantro and slices of lime and radish (and some diced avocado if you'd like!).

No comments:

Post a Comment