Sunday, February 10, 2013

Perfectly Light Carrot and Red Lentil Soup

Last night's macaroni and cheese soup was delicious, but after such an indulgence you almost feel like you need soup rehab. After that cheesy calorie party, this carrot and red lentil soup was the perfect antidote.


It's not at all creamy, not even a little. It's got a savory spice to it while not being spicy. It's also not too carrot-y.

That probably sounds strange--a carrot soup that's not too carroty. Wouldn't carroty be a virtue in a carrot soup? Well, I have something to admit: I don't particularly like carrot soups. Oh, I'll try them once or twice a year, and I'll enjoy a small bowl, but that's enough for 6 months. I usually like vegetable soups because they enhance the flavor of the vegetable, but for me carrots don't need to be enhanced because they so easily overpower.

In this recipe there are plenty of carrots, but rather than only tasting carrots you get the sweetness to balance the spices. Delightful.

I can't imagine wanting anything but this today. If I didn't have a fridge full of food with plans to make a good deal more all month, I probably would have doubled it. I sent some to work with Logan and he called me to tell me how much he loved it. If I ate this for every meal, I'd be the healthiest (okay, I know it would be the most boring, but right now it sounds like a good plan).

P.s. Logan was just reading the ingredient list over my shoulder and said I should rename my blog "Coriander (Boyfriend)." He's the most adorable.


Carrot and Red Lentil Soup
serves 2

GET THIS STUFF

2 tsp ghee
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 t ground black pepper
5 or 6 small to medium carrots, peeled and sliced
1/4 c split red lentils
2 1/2 c vegetable broth
juice of half a lemon
fresh cilantro, as garnish
crumbled feta cheese, as garnish

DO THIS WITH IT

Melt ghee in your pot over medium heat, then add onion and cook until soft and starting to turn golden, about 8 minutes.
Add ginger and garlic, stir, and cook for 2 more minutes or so.
Add coriander, cumin and black pepper and stir until fragrant-- 30 seconds.
Add broth, carrots and lentils and bring to a simmer.
Cook until carrots and lentils are soft, about 20 minutes.
Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
Add lemon juice and stir. Taste for salt and pepper.
Garnish with cilantro and feta.

No comments:

Post a Comment