Sunday, February 13, 2011

Soupruary 12th: Pear and Gouda

So cheesy that all its jokes were puns.


A Saturday Ladybrunch:
Ashley (thanks for taking photos!), Evangeline, Julie, Justine, Katie, me, with a late-afternoon cameo by the always-working Laura

Katie, taller.

Menu:
Crudite with junk to dip it in
Blood orange olive oil bread
Brie Snack! (copyright Mandy Levy)
Beautifully rustic fennel quiche (courtesy of the lovely and talented Justine)
Crispy roasted potatoes
Pear and Gouda soup
Plus pineapple, apricot or fresh tangerine mimosas (because brunch!)


Entertainment:
Ashley's sweet temporary tattoo Valentines
Justine's disdain for The House Bunny (but it has the best makeover scene!)
The first outdoor adventure of 2011

First rooftop day of the year = big smiles.

One row of ladies, sitting in the one strip of sun,
Requiem for a Dream
style.

The Soup:
This soup looked and felt like the concept of brunch: Indulgent, sweet, cheesy.

I didn't quite pay enough attention during the roux/bechamel phase of the cooking (I get so distracted sometimes), so I really think the texture could have been smoother. The added contrast from the salsa is nice though--I don't think I would have liked it without it. I served small portions, but it's quite a heavy soup; you can only eat a bit. I kept saying it was like fondue, which is an exaggeration, but it still feels like eating a big bowl of cheese. I'd like to mix up the ingredients if I try it again, but as an idea of brunch, which is what I was after, the concept is pretty solid.

Would I recommend this soup? Not necessarily. It's not a must try. But hey, it was pretty good for what it was. And with company this good, who really cares?

I'm including this awful photo of me solely because it made me laugh so
hard I snorted louder than I ever have. Ever. And I laugh-snort a lot.


Pear and Gouda Soup with Toasted Walnut-Cranberry Salsa

adapted from Paulette Mitchell's
A Beautiful Bowl of Soup

salsa:
1/2 red pear, julienned
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
2 tablesppons minced toasted walnuts
2 tablespoons dried cranberries
dash of grated nutmeg

soup:
2 ripe pears, cored, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
4 ounces baby Gouda, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup apple juice

Make the salsa: Stir all ingredients together (so difficult), and set aside for later.

Place pears, stock, ginger and nutmeg in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender, and set aside.

In another saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and add the flour, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and whisk in milk gradually, keeping the mixture smooth. Return the pan to medium heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a simmer. Reduce heat back to low, and cook until thickened, about four minutes, continuing to stir. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Stir in pear mixture and apple juice.

Season to taste and serve topped with salsa.

3 comments:

  1. Did you make the blood orange olive oil cake from SmittenKitchen.com? I made it for my potluck last week and everyone loved it. I think I'll make it again with less oil and more yogurt though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did indeed! With a few changes to make it more of a bread than a cake. It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how delicate the flavor was! I also love that you read that blog as well =) Soupruary is inspiring! It makes me wish it were colder here.

    ReplyDelete