Sunday, February 6, 2011

Soupruary 6th: Broccoli Cheese

How many times can I say "Souper Bowl" in one post? Let's hope it's only one.


Steve & Marisa opened the door to their fancypants mancave in the snowy Westside of Cincinnati to host Jeff, Raphaela, Rob, Evan, Joshua and myself for Super Bowl (insert Roman numeral). It was the best kind of Super Bowl party, i.e. the kind where no one really watches football but there's a ton of food and everyone is ready to exclaim in numerous and varied ways that the Black Eyed Peas are truly the worst.


I had a good soup-related discussion (it's shocking how many of those I have this time of year) with Evan, but I don't think he had any soup. He's either a hardcore soupist, or, having already eaten, just full. Anyway, he sort of inspired me to add ramen to the menu (which makes sense, because it's, like, my favorite food), so that addition may be coming.

A grand time was had by all, and I'm already craving more of the sweet corn cake that Ris made. Ay yi yi, sweet + corn + cake are pretty much my favorite words in the English language (and I know a few).

With some salted rye croutons thrown on top. Cheesy!

My reasons for choosing this soup were twofold:

1) The Green Bay Packers played in the Super Bowl today against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Because cheese is easier to incorporate into a soup than steel, I decided I was going to cheer for the Green and Yellow (broccoli and cheese!) team to make the most scoretouchgoals. Pretty sure it's the sole reason they won.

2) I attempted a broccoli cheese soup during 2009 Soupruary, and ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwyuck. Maybe it's become even worse in my own personal folklore than it actually was, but in my memory it was, like, guh-ross-uh. But guess what, you guys. Soupruary is Corriean for redemption. Fix-it time.

And, you know? I think I don't hate broccoli cheese any more. This was a crowd pleaser. The base was silky and cheesy and creamy without feeling like you were just pumping lard into your veins (a plus!), and there was a whole mess of broccoli in it, so, you know, iron or whatever?

Real talk: This isn't health food. It's not fancy food, either. But it does taste good. So, if you're one of those people who really enjoys some broccoli swimming in a cheesy pool, I say you won't go wrong with this recipe.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

adapted from A Beautiful Bowl of Soup, by Paulette Mitchell

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 carrot, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups vegetable stock
2 crowns of broccoli, cut into small florets
1 small russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
2 cups milk
8 ounces sharp Cheddar, shredded (I used an aged white sheep's milk Cheddar)
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat, then add carrot, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until vegetables are tender (about 10 minutes).

Reduce heat to low and add flour. Stir constantly for about 2 minutes. Add stock slowly, whisking the entire time.

Add broccoli, potato, and celery seed, and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Keeping the heat low, stir in milk. When the soup is warm, begin gradually adding Cheddar, stirring until melted.

Stir in dry mustard, and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with rye croutons if desired.

1 comment:

  1. I was daydreaming about Soupruary the other day, and I wondered if there was ever a day of Soupruary where you had no guests, and you just poured some hot water over a Cup-O-Noodles. And then I thought, nah, I'm sure there's no shortage of friends when you're offering free soup. I mean, look at soup kitchens. But I am happy that my thought of you eating ramen was at least feasible.

    ReplyDelete