Monday, February 9, 2009

Soupruary 9th: Broccoli Cheddar

Welcome to the Soupruary 9th entry, in which I attempt to make a soup I've never liked (and don't particularly succeed).

Location:
Adam's house, Fort Mitchell, Kentucky


Attendees:
Adam, Nick, Me

Menu:
Barack-li Cheddar Soup (Wiiiink!)
Salad & bread
Oreo Cream Pie (courtesy of Nick)

Entertainment:
The first presidential news conference! (See name of soup.)


The Soup:
I've never been a fan of broccoli cheese soup. When it's the soup du jour, I'll order something else. Adam, however, loves it. So I thought I'd give it a try. The recipes I searched through were all looking really heavy. After seeing a cup of heavy cream here and a whole stick of butter there, this recipe looked like it was promising in the slightly less fattening department. When all was told, it probably needed the fat and the creaminess. Turns out we made up for the calories with the Oreo Cream Pie, anyway.

This soup was...okay. It was edible. It was very, very broccoli-y. Adam kept saying he liked it, but I'm pretty sure he was just being nice. I wouldn't make it again, but someday I think I'll be happy there are leftovers in the freezer.

In other news, I've sure been making a lot of green soups.

And a bonus hint: If you've just finished chopping a chile pepper, please wash your hands before applying lotion to your freshly shaved legs. Ohhhhh, the burning.

Don't take this as a recommendation, but here's the recipe anyway:

Adapted from Nigella Lawson's Nigella Express

2 T olive oil
2 cloves chopped garlic
6 scallions, chopped
2 lbs frozen broccoli
1 t fresh thyme
4 c vegetable stock
2 c grated cheddar cheese, divided
1 red chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped

In your soup pot over medium heat, heat the oil and cook the garlic and scallions for two or three minutes. Add the frozen broccoli and thyme and cook for a minute or two, stirring. Add the vegetable stock and cover the pot, bringing soup to a boil. Let simmer for about five minutes. Remove soup from heat and blend with an immersion blender. Stir in 1 1/2 c cheddar until melted. To serve, top with a bit of cheddar and a pinch of the chile pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment