Monday, February 16, 2009

Soupruary 16th: Potato, Kale & Sausage

I didn't have a case of the Mondays, I had a case of the Ridiculous-Weekends. This homey, homely soup made me feel at least restored enough to watch television on the couch for two hours, and that was all that was required.


Location:
Adam's house, Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky

Attendees:
Adam, Nick, Me

Menu:
Soup, bread, exhaustion

Entertainment:
Chuck and Dollhouse: Quite satisfactory indeed. Although every time I watch Chuck and he gets stuck in some predicament I get scared that Fulcrum's going to catch him and take my boy away. So, satisfactory yet panic-inducing.

The Soup:
Two indications of how tired I was:
1) I accepted help from Adam, who peeled and diced potatoes, and


2) I couldn't even be bothered to figure out what recipe I was planning to use, and just winged it.

Luckily, I wasn't trying to do anything complicated, so it turned out alright. It was comforting, satisfying, unassuming, not even slightly fancy. I'll bounce out of this funk and get back to more exciting soups; but, for now, this served its purpose precisely. On top of that, it took only about 30 minutes from prep to bowl (exactly my speed on a Monday). Fast, hot, and edible: That's how I roll (?).


No recipe, but I'll tell you what I did.

1 splash extra virgin olive oil
3 links mild Italian sausage, casings removed
3 cloves garlic
1 small yellow onion
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
3 small Idaho potatoes
4 c low-salt chicken broth
1 small bunch kale

Splash a little bit of olive oil in your soup pot over medium heat and add the sausage. Cook the sausage till it starts to brown, breaking apart with the back of a spoon. Add garlic, onion, and red pepper flakes, and cook a few more minutes, then add potatoes. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is fully browned, onions are soft and potatoes are beginning to have some translucence. Add chicken broth and kale, bring to a boil, then simmer covered until the potatoes are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with a sprinkling of parmesan.

Big whoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment