Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Soupruary 18th: Black & White

As is totes obvs apropos when serving a two-in-one soup, it's a two-locations-in-one Soupruary!


No lie, y'all: I woke up feeling like Mitch Hedburg this morning (“I'm sick of 'Soup of the Day.' It's time we made a decision. I want to know what 'Soup From Now On' is."). But then I ate and enjoyed marvelous company and I'm back on board, not even begrudgingly. Soupruary ahoy!

Location(s):
(1) Ultrasuede Recording Studio, Cincinnati, Ohio (You, You're Awesome? More like (S)You(p), You're Awesome! Am I right?)

(2) Leslie & Bill's, The Westside, Cincinnati, Ohio This was by far the most grown-up Soupruary we've had (real table! with linens! and place settings! and flowers!); but, when I told Leslie she was fancy, she replied, "No, this is just what happens when you have one of those days when you wear white and people give you stuff."


Attendees:
(1) Brian, Kevin, Yusef (proudly supporting my favorite local artists. Oh, and Brian. I guess.)
(2) Bill, Josh, Leslie, Liam (setting the record for youngest Soupruary participant ever! (okay, so he didn't eat soup, whatever)), me

Menu:
Black & White Soup
Salmon with Mango Salsa
Green Beans and Red Peppers (the last two items deliciously provided by Leslie & Bill)


Entertainment:
Liam, both in and out of his neglectopod, is basically the definition of a doorbell. Or a definition, since I'd have to put my nieces and nephews in that category too.


The Soup:
It may have been as far back as grade school that I had black and white soup. I have a vague recollection that it was a celebratory meal of some sort, maybe after winning a spelling bee? I don't know where it was, or how I ended up ordering it, but it stayed in my mind ever since and I've yet to see it on another menu. I don't remember how it tasted, I just remember loving it. And so, here it is on Soupruary 18th, and I think I still love it.

I mean, seriously. Cheese and beans? What's not to love?

You make these two soups separately and then pour them into the bowl at the same time to create the black and white effect. You could get fancy and drag some toothpicks across the middle to make pretty designs, but I was too excited about eating to worry with such frivolities.

White Cheddar Soup
Adapted from Bon Apetit, October 1999
2 T butter
1/2 large red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces
1/2 large yellow bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces
1/2 large green bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 pint half-and-half
8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
Melt butter in your soup pot over medium heat. Add peppers, onion and garlic and sauté vegetables until tender. Add flour and stir 2 minutes. Whisk in stock, then milk and cream. Simmer until slightly thickened, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes. Gradually add cheese a handful at a time while stirring; add more when the last handful has melted and the soup is smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Black Bean Soup
Adapted from Bon Apetit, July 2002
2 T olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 stick of celery, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 t chopped jalapeño chili with seeds
2 t ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 15-oz can petite diced tomatoes in juice
2 15-oz cans black beans, undrained
2 c vegetable broth
8 T chopped fresh cilantro
2 T chopped fresh parsley
Heat oil in your soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; sauté until vegetables about 6 minutes. Mix in cumin, coriander and jalapeño. Add beans, tomatoes with juice, and broth; bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer 3 cups of soup to blender and puree until smooth. Return puree to pot. Simmer soup until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro and parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment