Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Soupruary 24th: Carrot & Sweet Potato

Who invited beta-carotene to the party? (I'll give you a hint: It was me.)

Location:
My apartment, Cincinnati, Ohio

Attendees:
Josh, Matt, me


Menu:

Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup
Tofu & Rice Noodle Salad


Entertainment:
Just good conversation at my place, but it deserves to be noted that this happened later:


The Soup:
I feel very good about this soup—healthwise, it's pretty awesome; in the texture department, it's velvety and decadent; the flavor transcends both carrot and sweet potato to reach some new plane of orange root vegetable savorissitude. (Don't worry, I work for the spelling bee so I'm totes allowed to make up new words.)

Almost as orange as my YYA hoodie!

I almost had a breakdown when I realized I'd left my trusty immersion blender at Taylor's the nigth before and he was already at another party. Luckily: Magic Bullet® to the rescue! It was a pain and it took a while and got the plastic bullet up to nearly skin-searing temperatures, but it did the job. I thought I was staring down a soup fail, but it was really just another reason to be grateful that Liz & Sam bought me the most ridiculous/awesome birthday present ever.

Adapted from infectiousrecipes.com

2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
2 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
2 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsley chopped
4 c vegetable stock
1 15-oz can lite coconut milk
thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh cilantro, as garnish

Place sweet potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic in your soup pot and cover with vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer until all vegetables are tender (about 25 minutes). And coconut milk and fresh ginger and cook for another 5 minutes. Puree until smooth, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve garnished with cilantro leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment