Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Soupruary 10th: Sweet Potato & Apple

Fruit soup! Woooo!

Location:
The world famous Shiv's apartment, Florence Y'all!, Kentucky

Attendees:
Adam, Shiv, me

Menu:
Sweet Potato & Apple Soup
Lemon, Leek, & Rosemary Roasted Chicken
Sautéed Kale with Bacon & Garlic

Entertainment:
The Legend of the Hova and the Grinch, as told by Shiv
The creation of new blogs in our minds (imacutyou,what.blogspot.com, anyone?)
Coming up with new ways to describe how good the chicken was (we talked about it a lot)

The Soup:
Sweet and kicky, Shiv remarked this soup would also be quite tasty cold. On my first bite I said the soup was "weird" (which was rebuffed with the inarguable "Weirdly awesome!"), but it grew on me and I really enjoyed it by the end of the meal. The texture was thinner than I expected; if I make it again I'll likely up the sweet potato poundage. This soup is fun and unexpected side dish material, and the fresh green apples diced on top give it a satisfying crunch. The whole thing made me feel a little adventurous in an easy-peasy, familiar way.

Also, I love Italian parsley. Remember that for later.

Adapted from Food & Wine, by Mory Thomas

1 3/4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 small parsnip, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 T olive oil
4 c vegetable broth
1 c apple cider
1 t green Tabasco
1 diced Granny Smith apple and minced Italian parsley, for garnish

Toss the sweet potatoes with the parsnip, garlic, and olive oil in a baking dish. Roast at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Pour your vegetables into a soup pot, add broth, cider and Tabasco, and blend with an immersion blender, then bring to the desired temperature on the stove.

Alternately, you can blend your vegetables and liquides in two batches in a standard blender.

Serve garnished with apple and parsley.

Special bonus embarrassing picture! There was a little pile of green apples and parsley left, and it's so good together that I decided it should all be in my mouth at once. I'm kind of regretting that decision based on this:


No comments:

Post a Comment