Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Soupruary 16th: Roasted Cauliflower

Cauliflower for people who don't like cauliflower.


Location:
Ashley and Chandler's loft, conveniently located like two blocks from my apartment, and conveniently smelling so much like cake that you gain a few pounds just walking in (it was awe-inspiring)

Full house!

Attendees:
Isabela (age 4 months!) and Lily (age 3, almost), Spring, Ashley, Chandler, Mr. & Mrs. Hollingsworth

omgsoup!

Menu:

Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Chimichurri and Roasted Poblano Cream
Shakshuka
Cupcakes from Abby Girl Sweets (I know we all thought we were over cupcakes, but this place has me back on board. They're just good, man.)

Note the toy sword in the bottom right corner. Excellent utensil.

Entertainment:
Lots of good conversation, but mostly Lily. It's nearly magical to watch a little girl get equally excited over Transformers, fairies, and cupcakes. That is one cute birthday girl.


The Soup:
My Wikipedia habits are weird this time of year. Who needs to read the entry on cauliflower? I do, apparently. I did learn a few things I don't know, though. Did you know the part we eat, the head, is actually called "curd"? I don't like that at all.

I do, however, like cauliflower, and that's why I had to give a cauliflower soup a second try after a hideously blah attempt a few years ago. So when my friend Julianne sent me a link to a Huffington Post soup slideshow that featured this recipe, I knew it was meant to be--particularly since roasting is my absolute favorite preparation of cauliflower. I love the sweetness it brings out and the soft but squeaky texture. Plus, it just looks pretty.

Of course, I'm the only one who got to enjoy the roasting, looks- and texture-wise. Fortunately, the sweetness stayed on and was the perfect counterbalance to the mild kick of the chimichurri and the poblano sauce.

The cauliflower is somehow unobtrusive and yet very present in this dish. It's a blank canvas to some degree, even taking on the green color of the chimichurri, but it still asserts itself (maybe because I opted to not completely smooth out the soup). "I'm Cauliflower, I'm here to stay, and you're gonna love me."

You know what, Cauliflower? I already do.

Wednesday Confession: I misspelled "cauliflower" as "cauliflour" about 20 times in this post. My brain wants it to be spelled that way so bad! But then, in the words of Mark Twain, "I don't see any use in having a uniform and arbitrary way of spelling words. We might as well make all clothes alike and cook all dishes alike." Don't tell my boss, you guys.

Also: Thanks to Ashley for the awesome photos!

Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Chimichurri and Poblano Cream
adapted from ChezSuzanne's recipe for food52.com

Roasted Cauliflower Soup:
2 small heads cauliflower, sliced, including the core
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 leek, light green parts only, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 stalks of celery, diced
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups water
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt

Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the slices of cauliflower on a dry cookie sheet and roast until tender, about 15-20 minutes.

In a large heavy pot, heat the butter and oil until hot. Saute the onion, leek, garlic, and celery in the butter oil mixture until soft and very aromatic. Add the salt. Add the roasted cauliflower and toss with a large spoon until the cauliflower is completely covered with the onion mixture. Cook for another 2 minutes.

Add the broth and water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender until fairly smooth. Stir in the chimichurri, and then season to taste with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve drizzled with poblano cream.

Chimichurri:

1 jalapeƱo, seeded, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped or smashed
2 cups cilantro leaves
3 tablespoons mint leaves
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Place all ingredients in a blender and let it run until fairly smooth.

Poblano Cream:
1 poblano pepper, roasted, peeled and seeded
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup Greek yogurt

Place all ingredients in a blender and let it run until fairly smooth.

It's over?!? But I want more SOUUUUUUUP*!

*When soup = cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment