Thursday, February 6, 2014

Broccoli Apple Soup


GIANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Logan, a.k.a. world’s greatest boyfie, surprised me today with an incredible present.

A brand…

New…




DOMAIN NAME! OMGBBQ!

That’s right. I am now the proud owner of soupruary.com. This date will go down in history (what day is it, again?).

He was so sweet about it, too, saying it was a thank-you for all the weird food I make him eat delicious things he gets to try during this silly made-up month. I almost cried, no joke. Especially coming the day after the Soup-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Just the boost I needed to come back swinging.

Note: Both swinging soup and swinging at soup are dangerous and not endorsed by this blog.

So here’s a probably-not-really secret. I didn’t really do anything to prepare for Soupruary this year. I’ve been pretty much winging things. That will hopefully change this weekend, when I’m going to sit down and pore over some inspiring cookbooks, think about vegetables I’ve heretofore given short shrift to, and of course think about how to get more noodles in my life/mouth.

But for now, I’ve been sorta wingin’ it. I’d love to make soup like it was my job, but the truth is I’m much more qualified for my real job that, like, pays me and stuff. And then there are those rare, non-soup-related activities to figure in. So I went straight from a post-work meeting to a comedy show to a trivia night last night, and came home hungry and hopeful that something in my grocery delivery box would spark an idea and later fill a bowl.

I started extracting the contents of my bin. Grapefruit: nope. Oranges: not tonight. Blueberries? STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS, GROCERY BOX.

Just as the sinking megrims began to descend upon me, I pulled out a bright, fresh head of broccoli. Getting warmer. Next, some crisp Braeburn apples. DONE. 




I love a good broccoli apple slaw, so why shouldn't that make a good soup? Turns out, it does. Nothing crazy amazing, but I need a slow build after yesterday's calamity. It was simple as can be -- a 20 minute soup with clean, clear flavors. Those flavors being, in this order: Broccoli, and apple. The texture was divine -- creamy and almost fluffy when contrasted with the sweet, crisp chopped apple on top. 



I feel like if I ever have a baby, this soup is the exact kind of weird craving I’ll have when I’m with child. (JK probs Easy Mac and TGI Fridays frozen jalapeno poppers.) 

For some reason, the soup looks less green in the picture than it was IRL. Must be some trick of bowl color and lighting. Use your imagination, k? K.



Bonus: There’s an instant, self-righteous smugness that comes just from pulling the juicer out of the cabinet, that is exponentially intensified when you run anything through it. Even when it’s just an apple. That action alone erased both cookies I ate during my meetings tonight. Add the juicing superiority to the self-satisfaction inherent in eating anything that’s mostly green and you’re looking at a good night’s sleep. 

Broccoli Apple Soup
Serves 2

GET THIS STUFF

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
2.5 Braeburn or similar apples (Fuji, Gala would be good too)
1 head of broccoli, including stem, chopped
1.5 cups vegetable broth 
1 sprig of thyme
1 piece of lemon rind (about 1" by 2")
chopped parsley, as garnish

DO THIS WITH IT

Peel, core, and dice one of the apples. Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in your soup pot, and add shallot and apple. Cover and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.

Tie up thyme and lemon rind in cheesecloth, or just drop it in the pot if you're cool with about 1 second more work fishing it out later (I just like an excuse to use cheesecloth). Add broccoli, vegetable broth, thyme and lemon rind to the pot, cover, and cook about 5 minutes. 

Meanwhile, juice one apple (about half a cup of juice). Add juice to pot and cook an additional 2 minutes, or until broccoli is tender and bright green.

Remove lemon and thyme and blend soup until smooth.

Chop remaining half apple. Divide soup among bowls and top with chopped apple and parsley.

3 comments:

  1. broccoli apple....love it, and will try it. apple sauce with bruised apples is such a special treat right now. i am sure we can mix in some broccoli

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this is al commenting on your page. hey!

    ReplyDelete