Friday, February 28, 2014

Red Corn Chowder with Shrimp

I'll never run a marathon.


The summer before my last year of high school, I sprained my knee at cheer-leading camp (shut up). I had to sit out the beginning of the football season, watching my squad from the bleachers and realizing, slowly and painfully, that my knee was never going to be quite the same again. And also (perhaps more painfully) that cheer-leading, which I was in my sixth year of, was yeeeeeaaaactually a little bit annoying. But the uniforms omg so cute, right?!?

My bum kneecap now has the delightful habit of popping out of place every once in a while when I'm doing something strenuous, like getting out of bed or sipping a glass of water. Needless to say, I don't want to tempt fate by doing something like running. 

Even before that, though, I was a terrible runner. And apparently a pretty amusing one, if you asked the kids in my PE group or the neighbors down the block who had to watch my feet wildly kick out to the side every time I broke out of a jog.

But my lack of running ability isn't the only reason I don't think I'd ever finish a marathon -- part of it is that, as I get older, it's harder to finish non work-related goals. Here are things I definitely haven't done in the past year:

- learn French!
- follow a strict budget!
- lose weight!
- keep my room clean!
- schedule regular haircuts!
- those two suitcases that have been packed and ready to go since last spring? take them to the Salvation Army!

I find myself better and better at starting things and losing steam (how's that for positive language?).

Which brings me to: Yet another reason to love Soupruary. I finished. Maybe next year will be time for a new challenge, but for now I'm basking in a little bit of tiny accomplishment afterglow. Maybe it wasn't all great, but a lot of it was pretty dang good. And tonight was a tasty way to go out.

Natalie and James came over and we had this lovely chowder. A little spicy, not very heavy, and very shrimpy. The corn was sweet, the peppers were hot, and the company was delightful. This is a solid recipe -- if the title sounds good (the red part = tomatoes), you're going to like it. 

The shrimp shells in the broth start going crazy at a certain point and it's equal parts fun and gross to watch.

I'd say more, but I already passed the finish line and collected my medal. It's made of a soup can lid, and it's obviously imaginary.


And now I keep hearing it's time for Starch, which is either a March full of eating starches (the food of the gods) or a March full of eating stews, depending on who you ask. And as much as I've loved this entire month, I'm ready for food that can be served on a plate.


Red Shrimp Chowder with Corn
Adapted from Pete Wells' recipe by way of The Wednesday Chef

Serves 6

GET THIS STUFF

4 cups seafood stock
1 pound shrimp, shelled, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces, shells reserved
4 ears corn, kernels cut off, cobs and kernels reserved separately
2 large basil sprigs, leaves cut julienne, stems reserved
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, diced
Half a fennel bulb,diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 jalapenos, minced (seeded if desired)
1 pound red potatoes, peeled and diced
1 bay leaf
Red pepper flakes, to taste
1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped, juice reserved

DO THIS WITH IT

Bring seafood stock, shrimp shells, corncobs and basil stems to a boil in a pot and then simmer for about 20 minutes.

In your soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, fennel, carrots and jalapeno and saute for 10 minutes. Sprinkle on a pinch of salt.

Strain the broth into your soup pot (over the softened vegetables) using a fine mesh strainer. Discard shells, corncobs and basil stems.

Add corn kernels, potatoes, bay leaf and red pepper flakes to the soup pot. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes.

Crush about 1/3 of the potato against the side of the pot using the back of a spoon. Stir in chopped tomatoes and tomato juice, return to a boil and simmer another 10 minutes.

Add the shrimp and stir. It will only take about 2 minutes to cook through. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately so the shrimp is nice and tender, garnished with julienne basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment