Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pea, Fennel and Lettuce Soup

Tonight I made a soup out of healthy green things, read the latest issue of Sunset, and took a gingerbread-scented bubble bath with a glass of wine. It's like I'm in a contest with myself to prove how 31 I am. At least it wasn't Moscato. 

Don't flirt with me, bowl. I'm too old for you.

I've been told it's abnormal to eat a big bowl of peas with a splash of olive oil for dinner, but that's my go-to standard for nights when I'm dining solo. I eat all the bigger peas first, leaving the tiny tender ones for last, then I eat those one or two at a time and savor the little pop between my teeth. (Okay, I'm starting to see how this is abnormal.)


I decided, since I'd be on my own tonight, I should find a recipe that would take my humble pea-bowl and turn it into a memorable soup in 30 minutes or less. I'm not too proud to say it: Having such strict constraints led me to a Giada De Laurentiis recipe. I generally find her personality annoying and the few recipes I've tried to be lackluster, but this one fit all of my requirements, so I gave it a try. I'm glad I did. Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on ol' Giada, after all. 


It's very straightforward and will challenge neither your palate nor your cooking skills, as you can see from the short ingredient list. It tastes just like what it looks like: intensified pea and fennel flavor. Do you like those things? Then you'll like this soup. It's just good. Do you not like those things? I'll forgive you, but I'll never think of you in quite the same way again.

Local Bibb lettuce from Madison's at Findlay Market never disappoints. At least there's one thing we can rely on in this crazy world.


Had I been making this dish for company, I absolutely would have pushed it through a fine strainer to get a more delicate, smooth finish. But as it was just for me, I blended it for a few minutes with my trusty immersion blender and then let it be. It could have been more refined, yes, but this was still  significantly elevated from a plain bowl of peas. Plus, not straining it means extra fiber, right? (Thirty-one.) I might have also made an herb oil to drizzle on top -- that would liven it up a bit. 

The best thing about this soup is that the vegetables are cooked just to the point of doneness, so they taste bright and simple, fresh and Springy. I need some Spring in my life right about now.



Will I have a bowl of peas for dinner again when March comes along? Yes. Several times, if I'm honest. But there's something romantic about taking a tiny bit of time to cook just for yourself. My very own solo date, because I'm worth it, or whatever. Plus, leftovers = lunch. And I'm excited about that, because I really wanted seconds tonight but I was too full. 

Sigh...when did I start getting full? It's so not fair.

Now, to go to sleep at 10pm. 

Pea, Fennel and Lettuce Soup
Adapted from this Giada De Laurentiis recipe
Serves four

GET THIS STUFF

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
salt
freshly ground pepper
1 large shallot, chopped
1 large fennel bulb, chopped -- reserve some fronds as garnish
1 head of bib lettuce, cut in 1" slices
2 1/2 cups of frozen peas
2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
squeeze of lemon juice

DO THIS WITH IT

Melt the butter over medium heat in your soup pot. Add shallot, fennel, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir around, and cover for 5 to 8 minutes -- you don't want your vegetables to brown at all but you want them to soften up a bit. 

Add lettuce and toss to wilt. Add peas, broth, and fennel seeds. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for another 5 to 8 minutes, until all the vegetables are cooked through. Blend with an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir in a good squeeze of lemon juice. Serve topped with a few fennel fronds.

4 comments:

  1. That's some mighty fine lookin' lettuce there.
    Definitely making this soup, hopefully tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I see -- the "1/2 teaspoon fennel bulbs" is actually fennel seeds, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! Good catch, Barrie! Yes. Will fix that.

      Delete
  3. I made this tonight--with two changes. I actually didn't have fennel seeds, so subbed some fresh thyme. And I didn't have Bibb lettuce, but had some fresh pea shoots. Stellar!

    ReplyDelete